Wednesday, June 15, 2005

 

Maus I and The Hedge Knight

I think I did the whole reader's binge thing. I read too many wonderful books in too short of time (at least for me--I know Teddy reads like a mo' fo'), which destroyed any pleasure in reading that wasn't up to that same speed. I tried and tried to read Henry James' The Wings of the Dove, but his prudish, early 20th century, take-ten-pages-to-say-she-sat-down prose just didn't cut it for me. So, goodbye for now, Henry. But I finally got around to reading Maus I and The Hedge Knight, which are graphic novels. Since I read Persepolis this spring, I've been amazed at this genre. Maus I had a kind of immediacy that brought the realities of life during the Holocaust to my senses that I cannot describe. I need to get my hands on Maus II. The Hedge Knight was just plain old swashbuckling fun. Underrated squires and evil princes and good princes and a maiden in distress. Plus, it was written by George R.R. Martin, who has created the first fantasy series (A Song of Ice and Fire--the fourth novel is set to come out this fall) I've enjoyed in this life.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?