Wednesday, May 04, 2005

 

Time and Again

It took a long time for me to get around to this book, too long actually. No less than two people had recommended this book to me and for whatever reasons I never read it. One was quite possibly one of the nicest most giving interim pastors I have ever had the fortune to live with, Stan Bohn. The other was my much better more well read half, the amazing Jessica Penner. Well having finished Live from Golgotha and in the middle of Burr but not really getting into it (I love Gore Vidal, but I like his American Histories less than his other books) I looked over our leaning alter of books and thought "Man I should finally read this one" so, not to belabor the issue, I did. If you have ever visited new york, hell even looked at a picture of or at the very least heard tell of this city, you should read this book.
In it a the secrets to time travel have been discovered and a super secret government group recruits several promising recruits. The best recruit is Simon Morely and this book is about his journeys to, of all places, 1880's NY. It is a NY of horse power, elevated steam railways, farms on the upper west side, and the lady's mile. There are no skyscrapers and the Statue of Liberty is just the torch sitting in Madison Square. Simon Morley is attempting to discover the meaning of an old letter pertaining to a close friend's old family mystery. It is a smart elegantly written book that brings life to a relatively little known age.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?