Friday, May 27, 2005

 

The Known World

If I was able to write as good as Edward P. Jones, I would...I don't know what. Gladly accept the Pulitzer and rest on my laurels, perhaps. This book is amazing. Gorgeous. The story is told in this complex, linear way that confuses you but you don't mind being confused. You just let it glide through you and trust the understanding will come. I am tempted to write him a letter. I haven't been this moved to write to an author since I first came across Chaim Potok's My Name is Asher Lev and Davita's Harp. This desire to write him came to me even after he had gone to the great beyond--when I saw the Asher Lev YMCA near Menno House I at first was amazed that they named a gym after a character in a book; then I realized it said Asher Levy. Lev means "heart" by the way in Hebrew. But back to E.J., as my dear professor Carolyn calls him. It ends in such a way that you do expect and don't at the same time. Some of the people in my craft class pooh-poohed it because of the non-linear story, but I love non-linear-ness.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?