Monday, May 09, 2005

 

From Time to Time

I never read reviews until I am either done reading the book or so deep into it, the reviews have little power over my opinion of the book. The only reviewers I trust when it comes to books are friends. Most of the good folks who write reviews for Amazon are morons and I only read their reviews for entertainment value, not for informed decision making. I rarely find a review that I agree with, either I have bad taste or I am just too damn easy to please.
That said---I liked this book, while the Amazon crew did not. Maybe they were just too much in love with Time and Again, I don’t know.
Jack Finney did a great job immersing the reader in turn of the century New York and I think he is one of the few writers who can realistically tackle the intricate paradoxes of time travel and the what could have been. It is an elegant book of ideals and morals and the attempt to change the world for the better. Any way any book that mentions the Flatiron Building is alright by me.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?